Bucs Should Pursue Milton Bradley
Because of a glut of outfielders, the Oakland A’s have designated Milton Bradley for assignment. I want him on the Pirates.
Why do I want him? Because I think Milton Bradley has some good baseball left in him. Because I think he brings an anger and a passion (though he’s been accused of loafing) that is severely lacking in the Pirates clubhouse.
Pros and Cons of getting him, starting with the pros:
1. He’s played for Jim Tracy
2. He’s a talented player
3. Management is familiar with him as he was one of several players on the Pirates short wish list before they traded for Matt Lawton
4. He lives by a simple creed. That maybe isn’t really a simple creed. Clark Griswold’s creed in the first Vacation movie, “Pretty much go for it”
On with the cons
1. He’s slightly crazy. Not Carl Everett-crazy, but enough that he’s clashed with teammates, opponents, umpires and sometimes the crowd at nearly every stop
2. The whole issue of loafing. Jeff Kent accused him of loafing when they were teammates in LA and Bradley then accused Kent of having issues with black teammates
3. Showboating. I’m not a personal fan of it and the whole, “I live by a simple creed” incident happened when he snapped off his batting gloves after homering against the Dodgers while he was with the Indians and LA catcher Paul Lo Duca took exception
4. He is injury prone. He’s had just 500 ABs in one season in his career and went on the DL thrice already this year with hamstring and calf muscle injuries
This is a low risk/high upside investment. Bring him in for 30 or 40 games. If he doesn’t play well or ticks off his teammates, let him go. The Pirates don’t have much to lose.