According to Baseball America’s Matt Eddy, the Pirates have released Aaron Poreda. Once one of the top left-handed pitching prospects in the minors, Poreda increasingly struggled with control problems and injuries. A 2007 first-round draft pick of the White Sox, he was traded to San Diego in 2009 as part of the package for Jake Peavy, then came to the Pirates in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft in 2011. Unfortunately, he made just three starts for Altoona in 2012 before shoulder problems shelved him for the season. In those starts he went 2-0, 2.25, but he walked 11 in just 16 innings. He was not yet eligible for minor league free agency, so he returned to minor league camp with the Pirates this year.
Pirates Game Recaps
Prospect Watch: Stetson Allie Homers Twice; Sands, Sanchez, and Herrera Also Homer
Top Pitcher: Orlando Castro, Top Hitter: Stetson Allie, HR: Jared Goedert, Tony Sanchez, Jerry Sands, Stetson Allie (2), Dilson Herrera
Minor League Schedule
Minor League Schedule: Holmes With The Morning Start Today
5/22/13 Starters: David Bromberg, Zack Dodson, Clay Holmes
- Prospect Notebook: Jerry Sands Could Be a Good In-Season Addition For the Pirates
- First Pitch: Jeff Locke and the Defense of FIP
- Minor League Schedule: Holmes With The Morning Start Today
- Prospect Watch: Stetson Allie Homers Twice; Sands, Sanchez, and Herrera Also Homer
- Snider’s Grand Slam Explodes Twitter, Or Does It?
- Travis Snider’s Grand Slam Lifts Pirates to 5-4 Win
- Pirates Notebook: Jeff Karstens Talks Rehab, Role With Team
- Vic Black Leaves Game With Unknown Injury