The Pirates have activated Jeanmar Gomez from the disabled list and have optioned Duke Welker to Triple-A. We knew Gomez was going to be activated today, as he was scheduled to start against the Mariners and Felix Hernandez. Welker being optioned isn’t a big surprise. He was the last guy added to the bullpen, and it would have been him or Ryan Reid. Reid will eventually go down when one of Wandy Rodriguez or A.J. Burnett return.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- First Pitch: A Different and Easier Approach to the Pitching Staff This Year
- Edinson Volquez Agrees to Deal With Royals
- Winter Leagues: Two Doubles From Pedro Florimon, Nunez Homers
- The 2015 Prospect Guide Will Be Available This Week
- The Rumors About the Marlins Being Interested in Pedro Alvarez Can Be Put to Rest
- First Pitch: Looking at the Pirates Starting Pitching Depth in 2015 and Beyond
- Francisco Liriano’s Contract Details
- Notes: Ray Searage on Cole and Morton; Holdzkom’s Focus, Polanco in Right Field
- Winter Leagues: Alen Hanson Makes a Brief Return to the Lineup, Valle Leaves With Hand Injury
- Winter Leagues: Sebastian Valle Collects Three Hits, Harold Ramirez Named to All-Star Team