The Pittsburgh Pirates have released catcher Kelly Shoppach from Triple-A and have promoted Carlos Paulino from Altoona to Indianapolis. Obviously there wasn’t any need in the majors for Shoppach with the recent addition of John Buck. The reason they acquired him was to give him a shot as the third catcher. With Shoppach gone, Paulino takes over as one of the catchers in Triple-A. He should stay there through the end of the season, and provides a strong defensive option for the playoffs.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Pirates Sign Corey Hart, DFA Preston Guilmet
- The 2015 Prospect Guide is Now Available as an eBook
- Winter Leagues: Big Game From Edwin Espinal, Bryan Sousa Makes His Debut
- First Pitch: The 2015 Prospect Guide is Now Available
- Winter Leagues: Willy Garcia Homers, Shows Improvements at the Plate
- First Pitch: A Different and Easier Approach to the Pitching Staff This Year
- Edinson Volquez Agrees to Deal With Royals
- Winter Leagues: Two Doubles From Pedro Florimon, Nunez Homers
- The 2015 Prospect Guide Will Be Available This Week
- The Rumors About the Marlins Being Interested in Pedro Alvarez Can Be Put to Rest