The Pittsburgh Pirates have released catcher Kelly Shoppach from Triple-A and have promoted Carlos Paulino from Altoona to Indianapolis. Obviously there wasn’t any need in the majors for Shoppach with the recent addition of John Buck. The reason they acquired him was to give him a shot as the third catcher. With Shoppach gone, Paulino takes over as one of the catchers in Triple-A. He should stay there through the end of the season, and provides a strong defensive option for the playoffs.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- First Pitch: How Good Would Gregory Polanco Have to Be to Justify Super Two Status?
- Minor League Schedule: Rodriguez and Irwin Set For Sunday
- Prospect Watch: Four Hits, Including a Homer For Gregory Polanco, Heredia Hurt
- Draft Prospect Watch: Monte Harrison Moves Into Pirates Range
- Minor Moves: Vin Mazzaro Added to Indianapolis
- Andrew McCutchen Back in the Lineup Tonight After Leaving Early Last Night
- Luis Heredia Pulled From His Start With Shoulder Discomfort
- Prospect Highlights: Gregory Polanco’s Two RBI Infield Single to First Base
- The Adjustments Andrew Lambo is Making After His Slow Start
- First Pitch: Why the Pirates Should Wait For Super Two With Gregory Polanco