The Pittsburgh Pirates have released catcher Kelly Shoppach from Triple-A and have promoted Carlos Paulino from Altoona to Indianapolis. Obviously there wasn’t any need in the majors for Shoppach with the recent addition of John Buck. The reason they acquired him was to give him a shot as the third catcher. With Shoppach gone, Paulino takes over as one of the catchers in Triple-A. He should stay there through the end of the season, and provides a strong defensive option for the playoffs.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Winter Leagues: Gorkys Hernandez Helps Team to Caribbean Series
- Seven Pirates In MLB.com’s Top 100 Prospects List
- Pirates Purchase Independent League Catcher
- Pirates Sign Josh Wall to Minor League Deal With Spring Training Invite
- Pirates Sign Chris Volstad to Minor League Deal
- Will the Pirates See Any Drop Off Going From Travis Snider to Andrew Lambo?
- Pittsburgh Pirates 2015 Top Prospects: #6 – Nick Kingham
- Keith Law’s Top Ten Pirates Prospects
- First Pitch: Here is Why Projection Systems Will Be Low on the Pirates For the 2015 Season
- Jake Elmore Sent Outright to Indianapolis