Reese McGuire was named the Gulf Coast League Player of the Month for the month of July. The first round pick hit for a .369/.424/.476 line in 84 at-bats, with nine doubles and a 7:7 BB/K ratio. He recorded hits in 16 of 21 games played, and reached base safely in 19 of his 21 games. Even when he hasn’t gotten a hit, McGuire is making strong contact, showing a good line drive stroke. He also has been as advertised defensively, including a 53% caught stealing rate in 19 attempts. All of the throws I have seen have been nearly perfect throws, low and to the second base side of the bag right to the glove.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Pirates Release Josh Stinson, Who Signs in Korea
- Winter Leagues: Grand Slam From Gorkys Hernandez, Playoffs Begin in Colombia
- Winter Leagues: Hanson Struggling in Playoffs, Update on New Pitcher
- Jon Heyman Reports Pirates and Jung-Ho Kang Are Close to a Deal
- Pirates Invite Eight Players to Spring Training, Including Tyler Glasnow and Stetson Allie
- Pirates Sign Two Minor League Pitchers, Both With Invites to Spring Training
- Pittsburgh Pirates 2015 Top Prospects: #16 – Gage Hinsz
- Winter Leagues: Tito Polo Leads Team to Playoffs, Leads League in Triples
- First Pitch: Mid-Season Promotions to Altoona For Pitchers Could Be a Thing of the Past
- Pittsburgh Pirates 2015 Top Prospects: #17 – Clay Holmes