Reese McGuire was named the Gulf Coast League Player of the Month for the month of July. The first round pick hit for a .369/.424/.476 line in 84 at-bats, with nine doubles and a 7:7 BB/K ratio. He recorded hits in 16 of 21 games played, and reached base safely in 19 of his 21 games. Even when he hasn’t gotten a hit, McGuire is making strong contact, showing a good line drive stroke. He also has been as advertised defensively, including a 53% caught stealing rate in 19 attempts. All of the throws I have seen have been nearly perfect throws, low and to the second base side of the bag right to the glove.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Prospect Highlights: Gregory Polanco’s Second Homer of the Year
- First Pitch: How Good Would Gregory Polanco Have to Be to Justify Super Two Status?
- Minor League Schedule: Rodriguez and Irwin Set For Sunday
- Prospect Watch: Four Hits, Including a Homer For Gregory Polanco, Heredia Hurt
- Draft Prospect Watch: Monte Harrison Moves Into Pirates Range
- Minor Moves: Vin Mazzaro Added to Indianapolis
- Andrew McCutchen Back in the Lineup Tonight After Leaving Early Last Night
- Luis Heredia Pulled From His Start With Shoulder Discomfort
- Prospect Highlights: Gregory Polanco’s Two RBI Infield Single to First Base
- The Adjustments Andrew Lambo is Making After His Slow Start