Reese McGuire was named the Gulf Coast League Player of the Month for the month of July. The first round pick hit for a .369/.424/.476 line in 84 at-bats, with nine doubles and a 7:7 BB/K ratio. He recorded hits in 16 of 21 games played, and reached base safely in 19 of his 21 games. Even when he hasn’t gotten a hit, McGuire is making strong contact, showing a good line drive stroke. He also has been as advertised defensively, including a 53% caught stealing rate in 19 attempts. All of the throws I have seen have been nearly perfect throws, low and to the second base side of the bag right to the glove.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- The Approach That Has Tenth Round Pick Alex McRae Off to a Good Start
- Prospect Highlights: Alex McRae, and a Few 2014 Draft Picks With Great Plate Patience
- First Pitch: As Expected, Trades For Starting Pitchers Will Probably Cost a Ton
- Minor League Schedule: Chad Kuhl Has Everything Working For Him This Year
- Prospect Watch: Nick Kingham’s Dominating Start Goes Downhill Quick
- Injury Updates: Harold Ramirez, Connor Joe, Barrett Barnes, Austin Coley
- Pirates Don’t Seem to Like A.J. Burnett’s 2015 Salary
- Andrew Lambo off to a hot start after return from thumb injury
- Prospect Highlights: Back-to-Back-to-Back Homers in Altoona
- Minor Moves: Orlando Castro Placed on the Altoona DL