Reese McGuire was named the Gulf Coast League Player of the Month for the month of July. The first round pick hit for a .369/.424/.476 line in 84 at-bats, with nine doubles and a 7:7 BB/K ratio. He recorded hits in 16 of 21 games played, and reached base safely in 19 of his 21 games. Even when he hasn’t gotten a hit, McGuire is making strong contact, showing a good line drive stroke. He also has been as advertised defensively, including a 53% caught stealing rate in 19 attempts. All of the throws I have seen have been nearly perfect throws, low and to the second base side of the bag right to the glove.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Allie and Heredia Headline Mexican Winter League Roster Loaded With Pirates
- Josh Harrison Out of the Lineup Today After Being a Gametime Decision
- Morning Report: Checking the Progress of the 2012 Draft Class
- First Pitch: How Much Did the Pirates’ Payroll Increase in 2014?
- Morning Report: Best OPS Doesn’t Always Equal Best Prospect
- First Pitch: Why You Never Really Give Up On Prospects
- Links: The Amazing John Holdzkom Story, and a Guide to Scouting
- Carlos Munoz Named to the GCL All-Star Team
- Pirates Still in Playoff Picture, Thanks to Horrible Second NL Wild Card Race
- Austin Meadows Was Impressive in His Short Time With West Virginia