Reese McGuire was named the Gulf Coast League Player of the Month for the month of July. The first round pick hit for a .369/.424/.476 line in 84 at-bats, with nine doubles and a 7:7 BB/K ratio. He recorded hits in 16 of 21 games played, and reached base safely in 19 of his 21 games. Even when he hasn’t gotten a hit, McGuire is making strong contact, showing a good line drive stroke. He also has been as advertised defensively, including a 53% caught stealing rate in 19 attempts. All of the throws I have seen have been nearly perfect throws, low and to the second base side of the bag right to the glove.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Winter Leagues: Two Doubles From Pedro Florimon, Nunez Homers
- The 2015 Prospect Guide Will Be Available This Week
- The Rumors About the Marlins Being Interested in Pedro Alvarez Can Be Put to Rest
- First Pitch: Looking at the Pirates Starting Pitching Depth in 2015 and Beyond
- Francisco Liriano’s Contract Details
- Notes: Ray Searage on Cole and Morton; Holdzkom’s Focus, Polanco in Right Field
- Winter Leagues: Alen Hanson Makes a Brief Return to the Lineup, Valle Leaves With Hand Injury
- Winter Leagues: Sebastian Valle Collects Three Hits, Harold Ramirez Named to All-Star Team
- Contract Details For Radhames Liz and Updated 2015 Payroll Numbers
- Winter Leagues: High-Priced International Signing Among Pirates Playing in Panama