Reese McGuire was named the Gulf Coast League Player of the Month for the month of July. The first round pick hit for a .369/.424/.476 line in 84 at-bats, with nine doubles and a 7:7 BB/K ratio. He recorded hits in 16 of 21 games played, and reached base safely in 19 of his 21 games. Even when he hasn’t gotten a hit, McGuire is making strong contact, showing a good line drive stroke. He also has been as advertised defensively, including a 53% caught stealing rate in 19 attempts. All of the throws I have seen have been nearly perfect throws, low and to the second base side of the bag right to the glove.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Minor Moves: Three Catchers on the Move, Edwin Espinal to Disabled List
- Prospect Highlights: Double From Gregory Polanco, Home Run By Stetson Allie
- First Pitch: Shifting Has Become Very Common in Baseball
- Prospect Watch: Three Hits Each For Alen Hanson and Gregory Polanco
- Minor League Schedule: Zack Dodson Looks to Put Oblique Injury Behind Him
- Brandon Cumpton to be the 26th Man, Nevin Ashley Could Come Up
- Russell Martin Expects to Return From the DL on Wednesday
- Draft Prospect Watch: Keep an Eye on Kentucky’s A.J. Reed
- Prospect Reports: Phil Irwin Getting Back the Feel For His Pitches
- Podcast: Previewing the Pirates-Yankees Series With River Avenue Blues