Reese McGuire was named the Gulf Coast League Player of the Month for the month of July. The first round pick hit for a .369/.424/.476 line in 84 at-bats, with nine doubles and a 7:7 BB/K ratio. He recorded hits in 16 of 21 games played, and reached base safely in 19 of his 21 games. Even when he hasn’t gotten a hit, McGuire is making strong contact, showing a good line drive stroke. He also has been as advertised defensively, including a 53% caught stealing rate in 19 attempts. All of the throws I have seen have been nearly perfect throws, low and to the second base side of the bag right to the glove.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim moved to Bradenton in 2013, and will be providing live coverage all year of the Bradenton Marauders, GCL Pirates, instructs, mini camp, Spring Training, and lunches at Mixon's Fruit Farms.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Winter Leagues: Polanco Reaches Base Three Times, Drives In Two Runs
- NL Central News: Cardinals Trade Freese for Bourjos
- The Price of Free Agents Hasn’t Really Increased
- Winter Leagues: Andrew Lambo Starts at First Base
- First Pitch: Do the Pirates Need to Act Differently This Year?
- Pirates Checked on Lance Berkman
- Prospect Rewind: Getting to Know Casey Sadler and Joely Rodriguez
- Winter Leagues: Lambo Drives In Two Runs In Win
- First Pitch: The Pirates Added Some 2014 MLB Players Today
- Pirates Prospects Who Are Eligible For the 2013 Rule 5 Draft