The Pittsburgh Pirates have outrighted infielder Russ Canzler to Triple-A, per MLBTR. Canzler was placed on waivers earlier in the week to clear 40-man space for Marlon Byrd and John Buck. He was originally acquired via trade over the summer from the Orioles in exchange for Tim Alderson. Canzler has a history of hitting lefties, and he could be an option off the bench in September. However, now that he’s off the 40-man, he doesn’t seem to have an inside track. Matt Hague hits lefties well, and has been doing better than Canzler this year, so Hague could pass him if the Pirates wanted another lefty hitting infielder.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Draft Prospect Watch: Aaron Nola Continues His Impressive Streak
- Pirates Prospects Has a New Logo
- First Look at Jen-Lei Liao, a 6′ 6″, 264 Pound Pitcher From Taiwan (Video)
- First Pitch: The Typical Development Path For Pirates Pitching Prospects
- Pirates Agree to Terms With All of Their Pre-Arbitration Players
- Pirates Trying to Work Some Familiar Magic on Daniel Schlereth
- Clay Holmes Following the Nick Kingham Path
- First Pitch: Is Stetson Allie the Breakout Prospect of 2014?
- Draft Prospect Watch: Big Strikeout Numbers From Sean Reid-Foley
- Stetson Allie Getting an Aggressive Push to Altoona in 2014