The Pittsburgh Pirates have reassigned catcher Nevin Ashley and right-handed pitcher Kyle McPherson to minor league camp. That now leaves the active roster at 28 players. McPherson is recovering from Tommy John surgery and will begin the year on the disabled list, while Ashley should see regular playing time at Indianapolis until Chris Stewart returns to the Pirates, which would push Tony Sanchez into the AAA starting role. Ashley played 12 games this Spring, going 2-for-13 at the plate.
Author: John Dreker
John was born in Kearny, NJ, hometown of the 2B for the Pirates 1909 World Championship team, Dots Miller. In fact they have some of the same relatives in common, so it was only natural for him to become a lifelong Pirates fan. Before joining Pirates Prospects in July 2010, John had written numerous articles on the history of baseball while also releasing his own book and co-authoring another on the history of the game. He writes a weekly article on Pirates history for the site, has already interviewed many of the current minor leaguers with many more on the way and follows the foreign minor league teams very closely for the site. John also provides in person game reports of the West Virginia Power and Altoona Curve.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Prospect Highlights: Alex McRae, and a Few 2014 Draft Picks With Great Plate Patience
- First Pitch: As Expected, Trades For Starting Pitchers Will Probably Cost a Ton
- Minor League Schedule: Chad Kuhl Has Everything Working For Him This Year
- Prospect Watch: Nick Kingham’s Dominating Start Goes Downhill Quick
- Injury Updates: Harold Ramirez, Connor Joe, Barrett Barnes, Austin Coley
- Pirates Don’t Seem to Like A.J. Burnett’s 2015 Salary
- Andrew Lambo off to a hot start after return from thumb injury
- Prospect Highlights: Back-to-Back-to-Back Homers in Altoona
- Minor Moves: Orlando Castro Placed on the Altoona DL
- First Pitch: More of This From Liriano and Fixing the Competitive Balance Lottery