The Pittsburgh Pirates have reassigned catcher Nevin Ashley and right-handed pitcher Kyle McPherson to minor league camp. That now leaves the active roster at 28 players. McPherson is recovering from Tommy John surgery and will begin the year on the disabled list, while Ashley should see regular playing time at Indianapolis until Chris Stewart returns to the Pirates, which would push Tony Sanchez into the AAA starting role. Ashley played 12 games this Spring, going 2-for-13 at the plate.
Author: John Dreker
John was born in Kearny, NJ, hometown of the 2B for the Pirates 1909 World Championship team, Dots Miller. In fact they have some of the same relatives in common, so it was only natural for him to become a lifelong Pirates fan. Before joining Pirates Prospects in July 2010, John had written numerous articles on the history of baseball while also releasing his own book and co-authoring another on the history of the game. He writes a weekly article on Pirates history for the site, has already interviewed many of the current minor leaguers with many more on the way and follows the foreign minor league teams very closely for the site. John also provides in person game reports of the West Virginia Power and Altoona Curve.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Pirates Sign Corey Hart, DFA Preston Guilmet
- The 2015 Prospect Guide is Now Available as an eBook
- Winter Leagues: Big Game From Edwin Espinal, Bryan Sousa Makes His Debut
- First Pitch: The 2015 Prospect Guide is Now Available
- Winter Leagues: Willy Garcia Homers, Shows Improvements at the Plate
- First Pitch: A Different and Easier Approach to the Pitching Staff This Year
- Edinson Volquez Agrees to Deal With Royals
- Winter Leagues: Two Doubles From Pedro Florimon, Nunez Homers
- The 2015 Prospect Guide Will Be Available This Week
- The Rumors About the Marlins Being Interested in Pedro Alvarez Can Be Put to Rest