The Pittsburgh Pirates have reassigned catcher Nevin Ashley and right-handed pitcher Kyle McPherson to minor league camp. That now leaves the active roster at 28 players. McPherson is recovering from Tommy John surgery and will begin the year on the disabled list, while Ashley should see regular playing time at Indianapolis until Chris Stewart returns to the Pirates, which would push Tony Sanchez into the AAA starting role. Ashley played 12 games this Spring, going 2-for-13 at the plate.
Author: John Dreker
John was born in Kearny, NJ, hometown of the 2B for the Pirates 1909 World Championship team, Dots Miller. In fact they have some of the same relatives in common, so it was only natural for him to become a lifelong Pirates fan. Before joining Pirates Prospects in July 2010, John had written numerous articles on the history of baseball while also releasing his own book and co-authoring another on the history of the game. He writes a weekly article on Pirates history for the site, has already interviewed many of the current minor leaguers with many more on the way and follows the foreign minor league teams very closely for the site. John also provides in person game reports of the West Virginia Power and Altoona Curve.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Pirates Release 2015 Schedule
- Pirates Release Ernesto Frieri
- Morning Report: What to Expect From Players in Winter Ball
- First Pitch: Are the Pirates Limited to the Second Wild Card Spot?
- Michael Martinez and Chris McGuiness Clear Waivers
- Allie and Heredia Headline Mexican Winter League Roster Loaded With Pirates
- Josh Harrison Out of the Lineup Today After Being a Gametime Decision
- Morning Report: Checking the Progress of the 2012 Draft Class
- First Pitch: How Much Did the Pirates’ Payroll Increase in 2014?
- Morning Report: Best OPS Doesn’t Always Equal Best Prospect