The Pittsburgh Pirates have reassigned catcher Nevin Ashley and right-handed pitcher Kyle McPherson to minor league camp. That now leaves the active roster at 28 players. McPherson is recovering from Tommy John surgery and will begin the year on the disabled list, while Ashley should see regular playing time at Indianapolis until Chris Stewart returns to the Pirates, which would push Tony Sanchez into the AAA starting role. Ashley played 12 games this Spring, going 2-for-13 at the plate.
Author: John Dreker
John was born in Kearny, NJ, hometown of the 2B for the Pirates 1909 World Championship team, Dots Miller. In fact they have some of the same relatives in common, so it was only natural for him to become a lifelong Pirates fan. Before joining Pirates Prospects in July 2010, John had written numerous articles on the history of baseball while also releasing his own book and co-authoring another on the history of the game. He writes a weekly article on Pirates history for the site, has already interviewed many of the current minor leaguers with many more on the way and follows the foreign minor league teams very closely for the site. John also provides in person game reports of the West Virginia Power and Altoona Curve.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- First Pitch: Bye, Bye, Russell Martin? And Other Analysis on the Francisco Cervelli Trade
- Pirates One of Four Teams Still in the Mix For Russell Martin
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli From Yankees In Exchange For Justin Wilson
- AFL: Tyler Glasnow’s Final Start Doesn’t Go Well
- Vance Worley and Jared Hughes Are Super Two Eligible
- Ike Davis Getting Work in the Outfield
- Tyler Glasnow and Gregory Polanco Highlight MiLB’s Organization All-Star List
- Winter Leagues: Tony Sanchez Headed to the Dominican
- First Pitch: Re-Creating Russell Martin in the Aggregate
- AFL: Two Hits For Josh Bell In Scottsdale Loss