Only one highlight this morning, but it’s a good one. Last night Gregory Polanco had a two RBI infield single to first base, giving the Indians a 6-4 lead in the sixth inning. That ended up being the deciding factor in this game. There are a lot of notable things about this play. First of all, it was a chopper to first base, with Polanco beating the pitcher to the bag. I shouldn’t be impressed at this point by Polanco beating out grounders to the right side of the infield, since he does it on a routine basis. But every time he does it, I’m amazed at the speed. Furthermore, the timing of the hit was great, as the Indians had two outs. If Polanco doesn’t reach, the score is still tied 4-4. On the back end of the play, great hustle by Michael Martinez, who scored from second base easily on the infield single, giving the Indians an extra run. Here is a look at the play.
Author: Tim Williams
Tim is the owner and editor in chief of Pirates Prospects. He started the site in January 2009, and turned it into his full time job during the 2011 season. Prior to starting Pirates Prospects, Tim worked with AccuScore.com, providing MLB, NHL, and NFL coverage to various national media outlets, including ESPN Insider, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, and the Wall Street Journal. He also writes the annual Prospect Guide, which is sold through the site. Tim lives in Bradenton, where he provides live coverage all year of Spring Training, mini camp, instructs, the Bradenton Marauders, and the GCL Pirates.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Winter Leagues: Mel Rojas Jr. Collecting Extra-Base Hits, Tito Polo Begins Season In Colombia
- First Pitch: The Bridge to Elias Diaz, Who is the Bridge to Reese McGuire
- Andrew McCutchen Finishes Third in MVP Voting
- AFL: Joely Rodriguez Finishes on a Sour Note, Elias Diaz Reaches Base Three Times
- Notes: Cervelli Trade History, Future of Ike Davis, d’Arnaud Signs With Phillies
- Pirates One of Four Teams Still in the Mix For Russell Martin
- First Pitch: Bye, Bye, Russell Martin? And Other Analysis on the Francisco Cervelli Trade
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli From Yankees In Exchange For Justin Wilson
- AFL: Tyler Glasnow’s Final Start Doesn’t Go Well
- Vance Worley and Jared Hughes Are Super Two Eligible