Garcia looked like a legit top prospect, but his age holds him back

DSL Pirates Report: Is Yeudy Garcia a Legit Prospect?

Last weekend, we talked about the DSL Pirates breaking a nine game losing streak and how bad the pitching has been early on, especially out of the bullpen. After finishing last week with a win, the Pirates went 4-2 this week and got some great starting pitching. One of the losses this week was strictly on the bullpen, which gave up seven runs over the last two innings. Since the bullpen usually consists of fillers at the back end, it’s a loss you can accept as far as prospects go. While you always want to see the team win, the more important things are the performances of the prospects and how they are progressing.

Valerio has 11 doubles this season already

Valerio has 11 doubles this season already

With that in mind, we start with the team’s top prospect, Jeremias Portorreal, who hit his second homer of the season, but continued to struggle at the plate. He hit .167 this week, with three walks and eight strikeouts in 21 plate appearances. Portorreal has a .185/.324/.272 through his first 27 games. It’s important to remember that he is still only 16 years old.

The second best hitting prospect is left fielder Edison Lantigua. He hit .273 this week, though it came with a change from his early trends. Lantigua had 17 walks in his first 19 games, striking out 15 times. This week, he walked just once and struck out six times. He has a .784 OPS due to the high walk total and eight extra-base hits.

Shortstop Adrian Valerio seems to get the most attention of any Pirates player in the Dominican due to his outstanding glove and the fact he has the potential to not only stick at shortstop, he will be a plus defender at the position. With that in mind, the focus has been on his bat, which could be what holds him back from reaching that potential in the Majors. Valerio hit .211 this week, collecting three doubles. The extra-base hits are great to see, because many of the lesser hitters down there just try to put the ball in play and don’t hit for any power. Valerio has 11 doubles and a homer in 108 at-bats. He is also making decent contact, with 18 strikeouts, meaning he isn’t over-matched. That likely means that he makes the jump to the States after one year, where fans down in Bradenton can get their first look at the defensive wizard, who turned 17 in March.

Speedy outfielder Victor Fernandez returned to the lineup after missing two weeks with a hamstring issue. He played for the first time on Saturday and stole two bases, giving him nine steals on the season. Talking to a couple pitchers, they were excited to have him back because he covers a tremendous amount of ground in center field. All the reports I’ve received on him say that Fernandez has game-changing speed on the bases and in the outfield.

Some others of note this week include second baseman Raul Siri, who had a nice bounce back after struggling last week. He hit .333 with three doubles and five walks, giving him the highest OPS this week among DSL Pirates. Outfielder Sandy Santos hit .375 this week, helping him raise his OPS to .712 this season. He is seeing as much playing time as anyone on the team, getting into 29 of the 31 games. Third baseman Johan De Jesus hit .273 this week. His overall numbers are still lacking, but he is still young despite spending all of last year in the DSL. De Jesus turns 18 next month. He does have some strong points this year, with 19 walks and 6-for-6 in stolen bases. Outfielder Eliezer Ramirez went 5-for-10 in his limited playing time this week. He’s hitting .257 through 15 games.

Strong Starting Pitching This Week

Garcia has looked like a legit prospect, but his age is holding him back

Garcia has looked like a legit prospect, but his age is holding him back

Pitcher Yeudy Garcia is an interesting case when trying to figure out prospects in the Dominican League. He has good size for a pitcher, standing 6’3″ and while he is listed at 185 pounds, he seems to have filled out a little already judging by recent pictures. In his first season, he is showing excellent control, picking up strikeouts, getting good results and his 4.00 GO/AO ratio is outstanding to say the least. Those numbers suggest he is a prospect and one other number helps his case, he hits 95 MPH as a starter.

So why would I question a rookie with all that going for him? Well, he’s already 21 years old in a league where the average age for pitchers this season is 19.0 years old. It’s certainly possible that he could be a late-bloomer, but it’s rare that someone signs at his age and makes an impact. The stuff and results are there and the Pirates showed they had no problem moving a pitcher directly from the DSL to Bristol this year, so if Garcia is a legit prospect, I’d expect to see the same move with him next year.

We got a quote on Garcia from someone that has caught him recently, saying “For me he is one of the best pitchers in the league. His fast ball is powerful and dominating and he has good separation in speed(with his other pitches). He is one of the best and most consistent pitchers here.”

Pitcher Luis Escobar is the top prospect on the pitching side for the Pirates. The 18-year-old from Colombia started off slow in his career, though that shouldn’t have set off any red flags. Less than two years ago, he was converted from third base to the pitching mound. The Pirates signed him after he got his fastball up to 94 MPH. He had a couple poor outings early, failing to get through five innings of work(DSL maximum for Pirates pitchers) in each of his first four games. Last week it looked like he was turning things around, and this week he had his best outing of his young career.

Escobar got two starts this week, allowing two runs on four hits and a walk over five innings in his first game. He went again on Saturday and threw five shutout innings, giving up just one hit. In 28 innings this year, he has a .266 BAA and 19 strikeouts.

Richard Mitchell matched Escobar with five shutout innings in his only start this week. He’s in his third season in the league, but he is still 18 years old. Mitchell also threw five shutout innings in his season debut. He has had some rough starts this season and the strikeout rate is extremely low, though that is in part due to him sticking to the Pirates game plan. Mitchell throw a lot of first pitch strikes and pitches to contact, keeping his pitch count low. Twice he has completed his five innings of work on 63 pitches. In his six starts, he has thrown 28.1 of a maximum 30 innings.

A couple weeks ago, we talked to reliever Carlos Bustamante, getting a scouting report on the young pitcher from Mexico. Since then, he has been lights out on the mound, giving up one run over 10.2 innings. On Tuesday, he went four innings for the first time, a total you rarely see out of the bullpen, since their pitch limit is usually 45 pitches. He went again yesterday and threw two shutout innings. Bustamante had some early control issues which haven’t popped up the last two weeks, allowing one walk in his four outings, after issuing 11 free passes in his first five games.

Enjoy this story? Pirates Prospects will be switching to a subscription site on 4/13, so that we can continue bringing you the best Pirates coverage there is. For a very small monthly price, you can continue getting articles like this, along with coverage from every minor league city. Get more information here, and subscribe today!

Share This Article

John Dreker

John was born in Kearny, NJ, hometown of the 2B for the Pirates 1909 World Championship team, Dots Miller. In fact they have some of the same relatives in common, so it was only natural for him to become a lifelong Pirates fan. Before joining Pirates Prospects in July 2010, John had written numerous articles on the history of baseball while also releasing his own book and co-authoring another on the history of the game. He writes a weekly article on Pirates history for the site, has already interviewed many of the current minor leaguers with many more on the way and follows the foreign minor league teams very closely for the site. John also provides in person game reports of the West Virginia Power and Altoona Curve.

Clint Barmes to Disabled List, Pirates Recall Michael Martinez

Next Story »

Andrew McCutchen, Josh Harrison, and Tony Watson Named NL All-Stars

  • Dom DiDominic

    Time to get Garcia off the island

    • John Dreker

      I think he will be in Bradenton for the Fall Instructional League, but right now it’s just a matter of getting him good innings and into a rhythm of pitching every 5-6 days and going five innings each time. He may be old, but that always isn’t the worst thing if he’s a legit prospect. He can move quick, but do it while not being Rule V eligible until age 25, so you get a good understanding of what his potential is

      • Lee Young

        I don’t care how old he is…if he can pitch, I am excited.

        • John Dreker

          I’m adding a scouting report I got from one of his catchers…will be up shortly and sounds impressive

      • R Edwards

        It cracks me up when prospects are called “old”, at the age of 21. These guys aren’t robots, so they all mature at different ages – mentally and physically. Not everyone is Mike Trout.

        • John Dreker

          It’s old for the league. The problem is that these players are signed at 16 if they show any potential and even signing them at 18 is rare for prospects. Signing someone after the age of 20 is extremely rare and 9 times out of 10, they are strictly roster fillers, guys that you don’t mind sitting on the bench or having them in the bullpen. This isn’t the same as players in the U.S., they have leagues with 34 teams and 35 man rosters, plus some reserves and the good players don’t stay long, so if you show any potential, you get signed. For someone to be good and go five years without getting signed is extremely rare. That would be like hearing about a college senior for the first time after he already played four years of high school and college and expecting him to be a legit prospect….seems like a Disney movie plot

          • John Dreker

            Plus there are also all the previous examples of why it usually doesn’t turn out good. There is a reason why we say these things. They don’t keep guys in the DSL that are good and they don’t sign prospects over the age of twenty. There can always be a player that doesn’t fit the 99% mold, but the chances are extremely slim. Garcia has the stuff to be part of that 1%….no idea at the time if he will actually make it, but unlike the other 99% of the players his age in the league, he is worth watching. You also have to remember that when a 21-year-old pitches good in the DSL, he is doing it against HS age hitters. Most college junior/seniors would dominate HS teams too.

  • R Edwards

    It would be a bonus if one of these three pitchers turned out to be a legitimate prospect as a starting pitcher. Holmes and Taillon are hurt, we traded Talyor away for the slugging Ike Davis, and Heredia is looking more and more like a bust.

    Its great that under the radar type guys like Sampson, Sadler, and Castro are all pitching pretty well this year. Sampson, especially, looks legit.

    • Lee Young

      that is why you never quit drafting pitchers. Top Shelf guys bust and unheralded guys move up the chain.

      For every 10, you might get one good one.

      • R Edwards

        That is true…look at all those HS over slot guys we drafted a few years ago – ZVR, Cain, etc. Did any of them get even a sniff of MLB? Its a long way from high school to the majors.

        It makes you realize how desperately stupid and reckless the Rangers were when they rushed David Clyde to the majors right out of high school. That was essentially child abuse – and they ruined that kid’s career.

        Has there been any pitcher who went straight from HS to the majors, in the last 25 -30 years, that was ultimately successful?? I know Steve Avery was pretty young when he started with Atlanta – 19 maybe??

Latest Analysis

  • Arquimedes Caminero

    Breaking Down the Final Pirates Roster Battles After Today’s Cuts

    20 hours ago

    With less than a week remaining in camp, the Pittsburgh Pirates made their latest round of cuts this morning, sending three relievers to minor league camp, including ...

    Read More
  • Keller Supak Hinsz

    Even With the New Draft Rules, the Pirates Are Still Loading Up on Projectable Pitchers

    2 days ago

    From 2008-2011, the Pittsburgh Pirates spent a lot of resources on projectable pitchers out of high school. So far, this approach has led to breakout performances from ...

    Read More
  • Josh Bell made the move to first base over the off-season. (Photo credit: David Hague)

    Why Should You Care About Prospects?

    4 days ago

    Yesterday I had a shorter day than usual. The Pirates had cuts at the MLB level, and a road game. The day was shortened at Pirate City, ...

    Read More
  • Gregory Polanco

    Q&A: Trading Prospects For Rentals, Polanco Concerns, Meadows vs Appel

    5 days ago

    I missed the Q&A last week due to a common problem in Spring Training: I forgot what day it was. It was around 6:00 that I was ...

    Read More
  • Nick Kingham f

    Improving His Two-Seam Fastball will Make Nick Kingham a More Effective Pitcher

    6 days ago

    With Jameson Taillon returning from Tommy John surgery, and unlikely to make an impact at the Major League level early in the year, the top prospect to ...

    Read More
  • Arquimedes Caminero 3

    The Roster Situations That Could Impact the Makeup of the Pirates Bullpen

    1 week ago

    There are less than two weeks remaining in Spring Training, and the one area where the Pittsburgh Pirates had actual position battles is heating up. There were ...

    Read More
  • Jordan Luplow

    How the Pirates are Trying to Stay Ahead of the Curve With the New Draft Rules

    1 week ago

    The 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement brought a lot of changes to Major League Baseball. The biggest change for the Pittsburgh Pirates came in the draft. From 2008-2011, ...

    Read More
  • Alen Hanson

    The Key For Alen Hanson to Help the Pirates in the Majors This Year

    1 week ago

    When the Pittsburgh Pirates moved Alen Hanson to second base last year, part of the plan was to get him to the majors faster by putting him at ...

    Read More
  • Tyler Glasnow 2

    What the Stats Don’t Tell You About Tyler Glasnow

    2 weeks ago

    The stat line for Tyler Glasnow’s start at Pirate City yesterday looked great: 3 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K. The lone run ...

    Read More
  • JaCoby Jones Josh Bell

    JaCoby Jones Did Fine in the Move to Shortstop, But Needs to Cut Down on Strikeouts

    2 weeks ago

    The Pittsburgh Pirates drafted JaCoby Jones as an outfielder in the third round of the 2013 draft, then surprised everyone the following year when they moved him ...

    Read More
  • Browse More Articles