The Pittsburgh Pirates have placed outfielder Starling Marte on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion. They have recalled third baseman Brent Morel to take his roster place. Marte was hit in the head by a pitch on Friday. He sat out Saturday, pinch-hit on Sunday, then played Monday, before sitting out last night’s game. Morel was up with the Pirates earlier in the year, but just for one game. He struck out in his only at-bat.
Author: John Dreker
John was born in Kearny, NJ, hometown of the 2B for the Pirates 1909 World Championship team, Dots Miller. In fact they have some of the same relatives in common, so it was only natural for him to become a lifelong Pirates fan. Before joining Pirates Prospects in July 2010, John had written numerous articles on the history of baseball while also releasing his own book and co-authoring another on the history of the game. He writes a weekly article on Pirates history for the site, has already interviewed many of the current minor leaguers with many more on the way and follows the foreign minor league teams very closely for the site. John also provides in person game reports of the West Virginia Power and Altoona Curve.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Seven Pirates In MLB.com’s Top 100 Prospects List
- Pirates Purchase Independent League Catcher
- Pirates Sign Josh Wall to Minor League Deal With Spring Training Invite
- Pirates Sign Chris Volstad to Minor League Deal
- Will the Pirates See Any Drop Off Going From Travis Snider to Andrew Lambo?
- Pittsburgh Pirates 2015 Top Prospects: #6 – Nick Kingham
- Keith Law’s Top Ten Pirates Prospects
- First Pitch: Here is Why Projection Systems Will Be Low on the Pirates For the 2015 Season
- Jake Elmore Sent Outright to Indianapolis
- More Praise For Alen Hanson