The Pittsburgh Pirates have placed outfielder Starling Marte on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion. They have recalled third baseman Brent Morel to take his roster place. Marte was hit in the head by a pitch on Friday. He sat out Saturday, pinch-hit on Sunday, then played Monday, before sitting out last night’s game. Morel was up with the Pirates earlier in the year, but just for one game. He struck out in his only at-bat.
Author: John Dreker
John was born in Kearny, NJ, hometown of the 2B for the Pirates 1909 World Championship team, Dots Miller. In fact they have some of the same relatives in common, so it was only natural for him to become a lifelong Pirates fan. Before joining Pirates Prospects in July 2010, John had written numerous articles on the history of baseball while also releasing his own book and co-authoring another on the history of the game. He writes a weekly article on Pirates history for the site, has already interviewed many of the current minor leaguers with many more on the way and follows the foreign minor league teams very closely for the site. John also provides in person game reports of the West Virginia Power and Altoona Curve.
Help Pirates Prospects Grow
- Morning Report: Best OPS Doesn’t Always Equal Best Prospect
- First Pitch: Why You Never Really Give Up On Prospects
- Links: The Amazing John Holdzkom Story, and a Guide to Scouting
- Carlos Munoz Named to the GCL All-Star Team
- Pirates Still in Playoff Picture, Thanks to Horrible Second NL Wild Card Race
- Austin Meadows Was Impressive in His Short Time With West Virginia
- Morning Report: Minor League Depth at Second Base
- First Pitch: The Lack of Moves Isn’t the Big Problem It’s Made Out to Be
- Josh Bell is the Pirates Prospects 2014 Minor League Player of the Year
- Tyler Glasnow is the Pirates Prospects 2014 Minor League Pitcher of the Year