The Pirates have signed their 4th round draft pick, Colten Brewer. Brewer is a right-handed pitcher who was drafted out of high school in Canton. He will likely report to the GCL Pirates to begin his pro career. All of the Pirates’ draft picks, and the ones who have signed, are listed here.
GCL Pirates 10, GCL Blue Jays 7
[ box ]
Sixteen-year-old Luis Heredia made his pro debut this afternoon, with a start for the GCL Pirates. Heredia made a good showing. He had a batter reach base on a fielding error by SS Alen Hanson in the 1st, but he retired the other three batters in that inning. He gave up a walk in the 2nd, but again retired the other three batters he faced. Heredia had some trouble in the 3rd, when he allowed 2 runs. He began the inning with two ground outs, then hit a batter with a pitch. That runner stole both second and third bases, then Heredia walked the next two batters to load the bases. A single lined into left field brought in two runs. Heredia was relieved by Robert Kilcrease, who finished the inning with a ground out.
Kilcrease gave up another 2 runs in the 4th. Back-to-back singles with one out and a walk loaded the bases with Jays. A sacrifice fly brought in one run, then an RBI single brought in the second, giving the Blue Jays a 4-0 lead.
The Pirates were relatively quiet over the first 3 innings, but they broke out in the bottom of the 4th. With one out, 3B Yhonathan Barrios beat out a bunt for a hit, then moved to second and on to third on two wild pitches. He scored on LF Jose Osuna’s RBI single. 1B Jared Lakind walked, then DH Jon Schwind doubled in Osuna. C Joey Schoenfeld tapped back to the mound, where the Jays’ pitcher tried for a fielder’s choice — but failed, allowing Lakind to score, and leaving Pirate runners on the corners. Hansen’s 3-run homer brought in Schwind and Schoenfeld, giving the Pirates a 6-4 lead.
The Blue Jays also homered in the top of the 5th, but it was a solo shot off Pirates’ reliever Diomedes Mateo. In the bottom of the 5th, RF Gregory Polanco walked and stole second base, then scored on Barrios’ triple lined into right field. Pirates ahead, 7-5. Mateo also gave up 2 more runs in the top of the 6th. A single, a hit batter, and a sacrifice bunt put runners on second and third bases. A fielding error by Barrios allowed both runners to cross the plate, tying the score at 7-7.
The Pirates went down in order in the 6th and 7th innings. Mateo gave up a single in the top of the 7th, but erased that runner with a double play. He also allowed a walk in the 7th, and a single in the 8th. Then the Pirates broke the tie in the bottom of the 8th. Osuna walked and was replaced by pinch-runner Junior Sosa. Lakind’s sacrifice bunt put Sosa on second, but Lakind was also safe at first. Schwind also bunted, and was safe at first to load the bases. Schoenfeld’s single brought in Sosa, then Hanson’s double lined into left scored both Lakind and Schwind. That gave the Pirates a 10-7 lead. 2B Jodaneli Carvajal was hit by a pitch, loading the bases again for the Pirates. Schoenfeld tried for the steal of home but didn’t make it, and that was the first out of the inning. A strikeout and a ground out ended the frame, but the Pirates had the lead.
Joe Parsons relieved Mateo on the mound to begin the top of the 9th. He loaded the bases with two outs, on a hit batter, a walk, and a single. Parsons got a pop out to end the game, and the Pirates had the win.
The Pirates draft picks for the 2011 draft…..
We’ll keep it updated with the signings when they come along….
1. Gerrit Cole — RHP — UCLA (jr)
2. Josh Bell — RF — Jesuit College Prep, TX
3. Alex Dickerson — 1B — Indiana University (jr)
4. Colten Brewer — RHP – Canton HS, TX SIGNED — 6/20
5. Tyler Glasnow — RHP — Hart HS, CA
6. Daniel Gamache — 3B — Auburn Univ (jr) – SIGNED — 6/12
7. Jake Burnette — RHP — Buford HS, GA
8. Jason Creasy — RHP — Clayton HS, NC
9. Clay Holmes — RHP — Slocomb HS, AL
10. Taylor Lewis — CF — Univ Maine Orono, (jr) — SIGNED – 6/13
11. Jo-El Bennett-Lowe CF — Houston Academy, AL
12. Condon Myles — CF — South Grand Prairie HS, TX
13. Brandon Platts — RHP — Mason City HS, IA
14. Jordan Dunatov — OF — Horizon HS, AZ
15. Kody Watts — RHP — Skyview HS, WA
16. Eric Skoglund — LHP — Sarasota HS, FL
17. Aaron Brown — RF — Chatsworth HS, CA
18. Josh Poytress — LHP — Fresno State (jr) SIGNED — 6/22
19. Mike Nunez — RHP — Salmen HS, LA
20. Trea Turner — SS — Park Vista Community HS, FL
21. Alex Fuselier — CF — Univ Louisiana Layfayette (jr) SIGNED — 6/17
22. Michael Jefferson — LHP — Louisiana Tech (sr) SIGNED — 6/18
23. Jordan Cooper — RHP — Kentucky (so) SIGNED — 6/22
24. Brian Sharp — SS — California Baptist Univ (jr) SIGNED – 6/15
25. Josh Martin — RHP — Samford Univ (jr)
26. Nicholas Flair — SS — Belle Chasse HS, LA
27. Ryan Hornback — C — San Jacinto College North (J2) SIGNED — 6/28
28. Jeffrey Zajac — LHP — Walker Valley HS, TN
29. Kirk Singer — SS — Cal State Long Beach (jr) SIGNED — 6/ 13
30. Matt Benedict — RHP — Western Carolina Univ (sr) SIGNED — 6/13
31. Derek Trent — C — East Tennessee St. Univ. (sr) SIGNED– 6/13
32. David Jagoditsh — RHP — Pima CC (J2) SIGNED — 6/18
33. Christopher Lashmet — 3B — Northwestern U (sr) SIGNED — 6/21
34. Juan Rosado — 1B — Louisiana State Eunice (J1)
35. Reid Mathews — 2B — Dobyns Bennett HS TN
36. Isaac Ballou — CF — Marshall Univ (so)
37. Rodarrick Jones — LF — Southern Univ (jr)
38. Douglas Crumlich — SS — Univ of California Irvine (jr)
39. Rand Ravnaas — LF — Georgetown Univ (jr)
40. Raphael Rhymes — 2B — Louisiana State Univ (so)
41. Jon Schwind– C — Marist College (jr) SIGNED — 6/17
42. Nicholas Hibbing — RHP — Lakes Community HS (IL)
43. William Argo — CF — University of Illinois (jr)
44. Bobby LeCount — 3B — Edmonds Comm Coll (J2)
45. Robert Ingram — LHP — Yavapai College (J1)
46. Jeff Schalk — RF — Wheaton North HS, IL
47. Jordan Deluca — CF — Tussey Mountain HS, PA
48. Zachary Thompson — RHP — Grace Prep Academy, TX
49. Austin White — 3B — Arkansas HS, AR
50. Zechariah Lemond — RHP — Waltrip HS, TX