Here are some stats involving some of the young prospects in the system and where the currently are ranked in each of their leagues. Thanks to the Pirates for passing along the news and notes.
Triple-A Indianapolis —
- Jordy Mercer ranks eighth in the International League with a .303 average (53-for-175). He has also hit safely in each of his last eight games, going 14-for-33 (.424 average).
- Starling Marte has an International League leading five triples. He has also gone 10-for-27 with two triples, two home runs and eight RBI in his last six games.
- Indianapolis’ pitching staff has a league-leading 2.89 ERA.
- Rudy Owens ranks fifth in the league with a 2.40 ERA. Since allowing four earned runs in his first start, Owens has posted a 1.96 ERA (55.0ip/12er) in his last eight starts.
- Justin Wilson has posted a .204 batting average against, which ranks third in the league among starting pitchers.
- Duke Welker has allowed two earned runs in his last 10 appearances (14.0ip) between Altoona and Indianapolis.
Double-A Altoona —
- Robbie Grossman is tied for third in the Eastern League with 32 runs scored and tied for the league lead with 28 walks.
- Brock Holt has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, going 15-for-43 (.349 average).
- Victor Black has allowed an earned run in five of his 17 appearances and has struck out 27 batters in 21.0 innings of relief
High-A Bradenton —
- Gerrit Cole ranks ninth in the Florida State League with a 2.60 ERA. In four starts this month Cole is 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA (22.0ip/4er). Cole’s .200 batting average against is the second-lowest among all Florida State League starters.
- Jameson Taillon ranks third in the league with a .214 batting average against.
- Bradenton’s pitching staff ranks fourth in the league with a 3.42 ERA.
- Alex Dickerson ranks fourth in the league with 31 RBI.
- Mel Rojas Jr. has a league leading six triples.
Low-A West Virginia —
- Alen Hanson has a South Atlantic League leading 67 hits and ranks fourth in the league with a .338 average. Hanson also ranks second in the league in doubles (17) and extra base hits (29), first in triples (six), third in runs scored (43) and fourth with a .973 OPS.
- Matt Benedict ranks 10th in the league with a 2.89 ERA.