The Pittsburgh Pirates have released catcher Kelly Shoppach from Triple-A and have promoted Carlos Paulino from Altoona to Indianapolis. Obviously there wasn’t any need in the majors for Shoppach with the recent addition of John Buck. The reason they acquired him was to give him a shot as the third catcher. With Shoppach gone, Paulino takes over as one of the catchers in Triple-A. He should stay there through the end of the season, and provides a strong defensive option for the playoffs.
Minor Moves: Kelly Shoppach Released; Carlos Paulino Promoted
- First Pitch: Major League Baseball is Thriving
- Breaking Down the Pirates’ 2021 Year-End Payroll
- First Pitch: Major League Baseball is Broken
- First Pitch: Do Small Market Fans Really Care About These Remaining MLB Playoff Teams?
- Arizona Fall League Preview: Pirates Have a Talented Group, Though One Prospect Drops Out
- Card of the Day: 1953 Topps Mike Sandlock
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: October 17th, Pirates Win the 1971 and 1979 World Series
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: October 16th, Pirates Win Their First World Series Championship
- Card of the Day: 1985 Donruss Brian Harper
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: October 15th, Pirates Win Their Second Title