A few weeks ago I reported that Jameson Taillon had been shut down due to elbow discomfort. Last week I reported that Taillon was going to seek a second opinion this Monday. Taillon did go for the second opinion on Monday, but didn’t want to comment on the results today.
I don’t want to speculate on the results of the second opinion. However, I will point out this is a change from the previous updates when Taillon was open to comment on his elbow, and on going to get the second opinion. This time he said he wasn’t comfortable talking about it, noting that the team was currently deciding the best approach to take from here. He didn’t say whether the second opinion confirmed the first one.
I reached out to Pirates’ General Manager Neal Huntington, who also didn’t comment, saying that the team was still “working through the process” and would pass along information to the media “when the timing was appropriate.” I should also point out that this is different from a few weeks ago, when Huntington was open to talking to reporters to confirm my original report.
In summary, Taillon and the team are refusing to comment about the second opinion, with both saying that the team is deciding what to do next. This is different from the first evaluation, when both Taillon and Huntington were willing to discuss the results a few days later. Take from that what you will. For now, we’re awaiting update from the team on the results of the second opinion, and what course of action they will take with Taillon.