Infielder Jake Elmore has refused his outright assignment to Indianapolis, electing to become a free agent instead. Elmore was designated for assignment when the Pittsburgh Pirates made the Jung Ho Kang signing official back on January 20th. He cleared waivers on Thursday and the Pirates assigned him to Indianapolis. His role was going to be infield depth, but the Pirates also have Pedro Florimon and Justin Sellers on the 40-man rosters and both could fill that same role. Florimon has no options left, so the Pirates could also lose him if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster.
Jake Elmore Elects Free Agency
- Game Rewind: Pirates vs Atlantic City, August 2, 1900
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: August 2nd, Tim Wakefield and a Big Trade with Angels
- Card of the Day: 1996 Bowman Freddy Garcia
- This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History: August 1st, Catcher Milt May
- Card of the Day: 1993 Fleer Ultra Tim Wakefield