The Pittsburgh Pirates Win the First Pick in the 2023 MLB Draft Lottery

The first ever MLB Draft Lottery takes place tonight at 8:30 PM on MLB Network.

The first six spots in the 2023 draft will be decided by the lottery tonight, with the Pirates one of 18 teams in the mix. Ethan Hullihen recently posted a draft primer that explains the Pirates’ odds for each pick.

Pirates Business: A Primer for the 2023 MLB Draft Lottery

The Pirates finished with the third worst record in baseball in 2022. In normal years, that would give them the third overall pick in the amateur draft for the 2023 season.

The new draft lottery system gives the Pirates a chance to move up to the first or second pick. They could pick anywhere from first to ninth overall, so there are more bad than good options in their position. The Pirates have a 16.5% chance of landing the first overall pick.

The Washington Nationals had the worst record, so there’s no upside in the lottery for them. They either get the pick they would have gotten without the system, or they drop in the draft. They also have a 16.5% chance of the top pick — as do the Oakland A’s, who finished second between the Pirates and Nationals.

On the flip side, the Milwaukee Brewers have the 18th overall pick, last among the lottery teams. There is zero downside for them. They can’t do any worse than where they would have been, but they have a chance to pick in spots 1-6, or move up if any other low odds teams gets a pick.

We will update this when the Pirates’ pick is announced.

UPDATE: The Pirates received the first pick in the 2023 MLB Draft.

Here are the full results, with their lottery odds placement going into the process. Copied from MLB.com

1. Pirates (T-1)
13. Cubs (12)
14. Red Sox (14)
15. White Sox (15)
16. Giants (16)
17. Orioles (17)
18. Brewers (18)

John started working at Pirates Prospects in 2009, but his connection to the Pittsburgh Pirates started exactly 100 years earlier when Dots Miller debuted for the 1909 World Series champions. John was born in Kearny, NJ, two blocks from the house where Dots Miller grew up. From that hometown hero connection came a love of Pirates history, as well as the sport of baseball.

When he didn't make it as a lefty pitcher with an 80+ MPH fastball and a slider that needed work, John turned to covering the game, eventually focusing in on the prospects side, where his interest was pushed by the big league team being below .500 for so long. John has covered the minors in some form since the 2002 season, and leads the draft and international coverage on Pirates Prospects. He writes daily on Pittsburgh Baseball History, when he's not covering the entire system daily throughout the entire year on Pirates Prospects.

Support Pirates Prospects

Related articles

join the discussion

Ethan Hullihen

Since it’ll be hopping here:

This is a very rough estimate of where the Pirates will be picking and their pool for 2023:

Drfat1.PNG
Draft 2.PNG
joesolo6181

So the Bugs pick first but that does not mean they will take the highest rated player. They may try to sign the pick for less than slot so that they can sign other high ceiling prospects. It will be fun to see what they do.

Cape Cod Sean

Destiny!

7878FC40-46C4-4B9A-9336-100A989F6281.jpeg
ArkyWags

Thanks, but no thanks.

Cape Cod Sean

Yeah your right.

john_fluharty

Wow didn’t realize his kid was that old.

mikeschalke

Hey we’re finally #1

steve_zielinski

Will the Pirates have the Top bonus pool for IFAs next January?

I forget how that works but I think they will not.

steve_zielinski

Thanks!

1979andCounting

Bob is back in WV wringing his hands and gnashing his teeth…….thinking he’s got to sell some newspapers to raise money for #1 pick (again). The Ski slopes paid for Davis and Nick. Was overheard mumbling…. “Wth is this, I didn’t get in this business to pay draft bonuses.”

buccobrach2

Dollander, the next Verlander!!

buccobrach2

Actually, he gets de grom comps, I’ve said this over and over , Aces win world series.

we definitely tanked on purpose this year

is this not proof that the lottery does not deter from tanking

and we didn´t call up any rookies until July

is that not proof that the deter service time tampering does not work

work stoppage last year was very meaningless, no?

There’s a difference between tanking and just not caring.

When running a bottom-feeding payroll is the real goal, no.

Castillo, Park and Contreras opened the season with them. Suwinski and Marcano came up in April, Castro and Mitchell in May.

Not if you worked in a spring training facility.

Scam likely

Hey I all called it on the primer thread, 1-1. I guess I should play the real lottery.

Last edited 1 month ago by Scam likely
robertkasperski

Let the wringing of hands and the gnashing of teeth begin! Who will it be?. Who will it be???.

to all the people who complained about VanMeter this season:

you can VanSuckIt

docdon385

Oh yes. Losing is so much fun and the Pirates are so good at it.

Why?

#1 pick in the draft is not possible without players like VanMeter, Miguel Del Pozo, Marvell Wynne, Paul Wagner, Jimmy Anderson and Charlie Morten

leefieux

I’d much prefer the last pick in the draft.

bianco599

Hey, Jimmy Anderson was better than Bullington and JVB combined. I’d take a Jimmy, Josh Fogg, Kip Wells, and Zach Duke any day.

steve_zielinski

Ground chuck was a good pitcher for the Pirates!

7.57 era in 2010

big reason we acquired Garret Cole

steve_zielinski

It to9k him a while to get going, but when he was healthy, he was good.

it takes almost all pitchers four or five years to figure it out

that is precisely why we are doomed under the current arbitration system and service time rules

Last edited 1 month ago by b mcferren
steve_zielinski

The political economy of Baseball is a dumpster fire.

Zack

It is a beautiful thing when we Pirates fan gets to celebrate something…anything!

forkball

Everything is trending upward!

adicesa14

I’m happy the Pirates won this foolish lottery, but I still don’t like it. The A’s, Reds and Royals, all small markets that had bad seasons, dropped to positions where they might not get a ‘prime’ choice that they otherwise would have had option to take. Then there’s the more important larger draft budget that is a huge advantage, which they also won’t get. It’s unfair. I’d rather win fairly, but of course, some of the ‘prime’ draftees might be Scott Boras clients and drop to them, and they’d have the great pleasure of developing a future Yankee, Dodger … you know the teams.

TNBucs

I always like John’s draft prospects coverage, but I think I like it best when we have the first pick since I don’t need to worry whether a player will drop to us.

Scrappy2499

Well John, you will need to work for it this year…Have to go big and scout all our options for the competitive balance pick and 2nd thru 5th rounders…😎😉

The real win here is the bonus pool. In 2021, they essentially turned that into Solometo, White and Chandler. White’s been hurt but could still come through. And pitching prospects . . . we all know all the memes. But Solometo is a legit SP prospect and Chandler, if you’ve watched him, has a huge ceiling. At this point in time, it’s a plus-plus outcome.

Of course, the money could all go on somebody like Dylan Crews. Which is fine. The option is there.

ArkyWags

I think White is a year away from being basically a write off. The worst thing a two sport guy can do is miss time as he desperately needs reps.
But even with that likely outcome, they’ve got two promising pitching prospects and Hank.

They say he’s healthy now, fwiw.

Ethan Hullihen

For reference, this is a rough estimate I have right now:

Drfat1.PNG
Draft 2.PNG
leefieux

We just have to hope that at least two of those five become good major leaguers.

steve_zielinski

Just like the 2022 draft, the top 5 are good picks.
Dare I dream that the Pirate will win a WS?

leefieux

I’d be happy with our first NL Central title it 30 years. I’m a skeptical Pirate fan. I will believe it when I see it.

clemo83

Dreams do come true, don’t let them tell you different

Last edited 1 month ago by clemo83
leefieux

My dreams will come true when these wave of prospects lead us to at least an NL Central title. Until then…..they’re just dreams.

john_fluharty

I’d love to go to the park this time around and experience it instead of watching it on TV.

Last edited 1 month ago by john_fluharty
leefieux

Yep. I have been disappointed too many times to get excited.

DangerWilRobnsn

Pirates immediately begin looking for the next Daniel Moskos

ravidesai1984

How about the next Kris Benson.

leefieux

A better comp would be Bryan Bullington. Moskos was the fourth pick in the draft.

DangerWilRobnsn

His son, Daniel Bullington? Or maybe Bryan Moskos.

leefieux

I’d be crying “Danger Will Robinson” if we took ANY players with those last names.

leefieux

Watch it! Anything negative Loehrs22 will downvote you. I think he is secretly Ben’s administrative ass-istant!

loehr22

Tough guy. Are you still living in your moms basement not able to pay for your subscription

john_fluharty

He’s probably older than your mom.

leefieux

Wow! You finally replied. Now let’s have a convo. Why are you on this crusade to downvote me all of the time? Did I kick your dog or something? Seriously. At least have the decency to tell me why you downvote me. If you don’t agree with my opinion, tell me.

robertkasperski

You dared to call numerous fouls on him during your referee career! You know he still holds a grudge 🤣🤣

jsdspud

I thought for sure they were going to end up picking 9th. I can’t believe that they won the lottery.

leefieux

You weren’t alone. Now we just have to ‘buc’ the 30-40% failure rate of overall #1 picks for the last 30 years. My Philly buddy moans about Moniak, so I moan about Bullington, lol.

TNBucs

Nice interview there by Ben.

Stapes

You guys, I mean Yinz are hysterical

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

Dylan Crews is ours!!!

steve_zielinski

Yes. Speed, power, average. Our next great RFer

skliesen

So who do we like at #1 ? Crews? Dollander? Someone else?

NoVaBurgher

I’d rather see us take Max Clark

Scam likely

You take a bat in the top 5, bat’s are the scarce resource and pitching gets hurt ,just ask Detroit.

agent00

dollander would be pretty pretty cool

Brock Wilken so we can trade Hayes in 2025

James_Robert5

He’s probably not an IF’er in pro ball

DH?

skliesen

We aren’t trading a 5 WAR player fresh off a WORLD SERIES TITLE! 😎

RaisetheJollyRancherGirl

Better find a swing coach real quick!

skliesen

Just watch. He’s going to make you, Lee Foo, and all the other haters eat your words.

RaisetheJollyRancherGirl

He’s had 3 seasons to get some lift in his swing. I’m not holding my breathe on him at this point. 90 wRC+ bat looks bad from your highest paid player.

ArkyWags

Yes, their 3 win player is their biggest problem. On a 100 loss club.

RaisetheJollyRancherGirl

Nobody but you made the biggest problem claim, Argy. He’s just a really shitty “highest paid player” for a team to have as a face.

Iowasteel

I like Crews, but it is a long road before the pick. Lots can happen – just ask Kumar Rocker.

steve_zielinski

It’s a shame that MLB cut down on the ads.

RaisetheJollyRancherGirl

WTH now I love the Draft Lottery!

ArkyWags

So next year they can’t pick in the top six, correct? Best they can pick is 7th?

ravidesai1984

We’re #1

agent00

huzzah!! how exciting

lottery still sucks tho

john_fluharty

We can do away with the lottery for future years now that we won the first pick in this one.

SouthernBuc

Could our representative look any less enthused??

They realized they have to explain to Bob that the bonus pool isn’t money they give you.

Scam likely

Well the BAM money is and that will cover there the bonus pool and the international money an put a big dent the free agents this year.

Anthony

Unfortunately, that’s a gain/loss from investment and would be removed from any normal operating budget.

clemo83

I love this draft lottery system

skliesen

bianco599

A’s guy no longer smiling.

leefieux

Gotta drag it out for commercial time!

ravidesai1984

They didn’t drag it out nearly as much as the NBA drags out its draft lottery.

skliesen

Gotta good feeling

steve_zielinski

And you told us this for what reason?

skliesen

The suspense is killing me.

Top 6 picks now

As 6

Twins 5

We win no matter what.

Rangers 4

Tigers 3!

Holy crap! Are we allowed to win things?!

clemo83

hahaha

WOAH we got it!

And a serious bonus pool with it.

I was all set to say F… Rob Manfred and now I can’t.

ravidesai1984

It’s always correct to say F Rob Manfred.

john_fluharty

Might we even see Wilbur crack a smile?

roberto

robertkasperski

In due time 😁 You and the rest of us can all shout that in unison when this pick along Johnson and the 2021 guys all are hoisting that hunk of metal after ripping it out Manfred’s cold hands 😁

Ace the draft now, start winning games, and we won’t care about the lottery. As long as we’re stuck with this stupid idea, this was the one to win.

NeBucsFan

So, it is 8:44 pm EST when does the 8:30 pm EST Draft Lottery Start?

bianco599

Can Sidney Crosby play baseball?

Bucs'N'Pucks (Jeff Reed)

Loved introducing all the Scouting Directors like they were top prospects lol so lame

what the hell is this?

where are the bingo balls?

steve_zielinski

They picked them off stage.

Haha, Reds.

steve_zielinski

I laughed at the Reds’ pick.

Brewers with 18/Orioles 17th

Giants 16

White Sox 15

Last edited 1 month ago by RaisetheJollyRancherGirl

Red Sox 14

Cubs 13

Dbacks 12

Angels 11

Marlins 10

Rockies 9

Royals 8

Reds 7

Ethan Hullihen

Goodness, the comments here already.
The draft should be totally disbanded, but this is at least a little better.
Encourage not being bad. Encourage trying.
Quite simple

john_fluharty

In a world where every player is a free agent only the richest team sign good players

Ethan Hullihen

Or maybe the worse are forced to be better.

Not to mention giving employees the right to choose where they want to work, the same as everyone else.

Last edited 1 month ago by Ethan Hullihen
Anthony

That would only work in a 100% revenue sharing league, which would need to include the “non-baseball revenue” loophole.

ArkyWags

You could definitely get rid of the draft, but still had spending limits for teams and where they finished. Teams with bad records are allowed more to spend.
So the Bucs, with 15 million, could spend it however they wished. They could give five million to three amateurs if they wanted. Or give $500k to 30 players.
The whole thing could be like college football signing day. An event. Players get to choose where they want to go and teams get to choose how they spend on players.

Ethan Hullihen

This would be a little better, but it’s still capping signing bonuses, which isn’t cool

ArkyWags

Right. I’m not sure what the solution is. Getting rid of the draft kind of makes it look like the bonus baby days of 70 years ago.

Richer teams have gotten a lot smarter about the draft and amateurs as a whole. So if it was just wide open on signing day with no restrictions, it would be even worse.

agent00

nah

RaisetheJollyRancherGirl

Salary cap and floor and you’re on.

#9 pick, come on down!

PiratePrimate

Just think what the Pirates would do if they could trade players under contract for future draft choices?

PiratePrimate

I forgot that and I think the Pirates have been involved in competitive balance pick trades. Is that right?

RaisetheJollyRancherGirl

Manfred takes every chance he gets to kick the small market fan.

agent00

this sucks

jsdspud

I disagree. I think that this will help reduce multiple year tank jobs when combined with the new rule to limit how many consecutive years a team can pick in the top 3.

Why tank to lose 100 games when you could potentially pick 9th?

The best way to reduce tanking though is to eliminate the draft bonus pools. Let teams spend what they want in the draft and there won’t be a need to tank.

Tim Williams

Agent out here securing the number one pick ahead of time.

agent00

reverse jinx works every time

clemo83

I think it sucks too, just feels like piling on the underprivileged. But we also kinda deserve it too, well Nutting does, not the fans. This is just an opportunity for Nutting to not have to spend as much money with a smaller draft pool.

adicesa14

Yes, whether it’s the Pirates or some other small market team, somebody, or more than one somebody, will get screwed, and at least one large market team will get a ‘big boost,’ as if they need more advantage. Whoever dreamed-up this ridiculous ‘made for TV’ debacle is an imbecile.

bianco599

That’s a good point. Don’t think anyone ever said “tank for Bryan Bullington”

agent00

correct. just another mechanism to punish small market teams

Ethan Hullihen

Stick it to Manfred?
You realize the players wanted this, right?

Ethan Hullihen

Come on, they wanted to lottery. That’s obviously what you were talking about and what I meant.

Share article